Lupus Nephritis is caused by SLE, a systemic disease. Even though a healthy diet can’t cure this disease, it does assist the medical therapies. Therefore, to figure out what foods to eat and avoid for Lupus Nephritis patients is quite necessary.
General diet tips for lupus kidney disease
Just like people with other kidney diseases, Lupus Nephritis patients have to develop a diet with low sodium, low protein, high calorie and high vitamin. This type of diet can help control patients’ lupus and reduce the burden on kidneys. Besides, there are some special foods Lupus Nephritis patients should pay more attention.
Foods to eat for Lupus Nephritis patients
Since Lupus Nephritis results from abnormal immune system and low immunity, the following foods are good for them.
● Foods with anti-inflammatory properties: Most fruits and vegetables, fish, ground flaxseed, olive oil, canola oil and so on have this property.
● High-quality protein: Milk, fish and egg white are good source of high-quality protein that can help prevent malnutrition and reduce the waste products of metabolism.
● Calcium-rich foods: For Lupus Nephritis patients, bone health is a big concern, because they are at a high risk for osteoporosis. Eating foods rich in calcium can help improve patients’ bone health.
Foods to avoid for Lupus Nephritis patients
Making clear what foods should be avoided can help prevent Lupus Nephritis from worsening to some extent. Read on to find the answer.
● Saturated fats: Red meat, fried foods, animal fat and high-fat dairy foods usually contain a lot of saturated fats that can raise cholesterol level and lead to inflammation.
● Alfalfa sprouts: These sprouts contain L-canavanine, which can overdrive your immune system and flare up Lupus Nephritis symptoms.
● Nightshade vegetables: A lot of people with Lupus Nephritis are sensitive to these vegetables. If you have same problem, you should avoid them.
A correct diet can help manage Lupus Nephritis symptoms and improve your overall health condition. To get a personalized diet plan, you can email to firstname.lastname@example.org or consult the online doctor.