Kidney Shrinkage: Definition, Cause, Symptoms, Treatment
- What is Kidney Shrinkage Definition?
- What Causes Kidney Shrinkage?
- What are Symptoms of Kidney Shrinkage?
- How to Treat Kidney Shrinkage?
- How to Develop a Kidney Shrinkage Diet?
Kidney shrinkage, or kidney atrophy, refers to that kidneys are shrunk abnormally in size. For healthy adults, their kidneys are 10-12 cm in length, 5-6 cm in width and 3-4 cm in thickness. Atrophic kidney is one abnormal phenomenon in which kidneys are relatively or obviously smaller than the normal value.Back To Top
Kidney shrinkage can appear in left kidney, right kidney or both kidneys. Generally speaking, several conditions can lead to this problem.
- Congenital renal dysplasia
- Chronic pyelonephritis
- Renal artery stenosis
- End stage kidney disease caused by diabetes, glomerulonephritis, high blood pressure, etc.
Generally speaking, atrophic kidneys have a close link with end-stage renal disease, because kidney disease can cause damage to nephrons especially glomeruli that makes kidneys shrunk largely.
Since kidney shrinkage is one indicator of the loss of kidney functioning tissues, patients are more likely to experience several symptoms as follows:
- Swelling: Fluid retention may appear in patients’ face, legs, feet, head and some other loose tissues easily.
- Hematuria: Urine presents red, black or tea-colored that means there is blood in urine.
- Back pain: Back or flank pain is indeed one sign of kidney shrinkage.
- High blood pressure: Most often, the worse patients’ illness condition, the higher blood pressure.
- Fatigue: It usually results from renal anemia or deposits of uremic toxins.
- Nausea, vomiting, skin itching, or other symptoms
The conventional treatments are only to help control patients’ symptoms and slow down the progression of kidney atrophy. Therefore, most patients eventually have Kidney Failure. If patients want to repair their damaged nephrons and make their kidney fresh and alive, we prefer to recommend Micro-Chinese Medicine Osmotherapy or Hot Compress Therapy. These treatments are suitable for different patients.
Through increasing the blood flow into kidneys and improving the self-curative ability of damaged kidney cells, these treatments can help treat shrinking kidneys fundamentally. Besides, they can strengthen Qi, one energy in our body, so patients can have strong immunity and stable internal environment to fight against any disease. If you want to learn more about these treatments, you can leave your question in the below form. We are glad to share them with you.
Since kidney shrinkage is more likely to indicate kidneys are unable to work properly, a healthy diet is needed to reduce the burden on kidneys. Therefore, we give out several general dietary suggestions.
- Follow a low-sodium diet
- Follow a low-protein diet with high-quality protein
- Add omega-3 fatty acid in your diet
- Take in correct amount of potassium and phosphorus
- Avoid purine-containing foods
- Drink correct amount of water
As the detailed diet plan should change from person to person, we can’t give out individual advices here. If you want to know what foods you can eat or not eat in detail, you can describe your illness condition or send your medical test to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are glad to help for free.
- Toxin-Removing Therapy Reduces High Creatinine Level in Kidney Disease
- How to Reduce Blood Urea in CKD Stage 3
- How to Reduce High Creatinine Level in Blood Naturally
- Toxin-Removing Treatment for Serious Proteinuria 21.92g
- Toxin-Removing Treatment: Creatinine Level 584 in Kidney Failure
- Chairman of SJZ Kidney Disease Hospital Visited Oman Embassy