As one herb of Traditional Chinese Medicine, salvia also known as Danshen is becoming more and more popular around the world. It has many health benefits, but is it beneficial for kidney failure patients?
Health benefits of salvia for kidney failure patients
1. The main benefits of salvia for kidney failure is that it can improve the blood circulation throughout the body and stop blood from clotting. As a result, more oxygen and nutrient will be brought to the kidneys, preventing kidney fibrosis.
2. Most kidney failure patients have high blood pressure. Salvia is helpful for widening blood vessels and lowering blood pressure.
3. High cholesterol is also a common complication of kidney failure. Salvia may lower bad cholesterol and triglycerides and raises good cholesterol. So it can protect you from cardiovascular disease.
4. Dialysis is needed when you are in the end stage kidney failure. Salvia may speed peritoneal dialysis and ultrafiltration rates when added to dialysis solution.
5. Salvia helps the urinary system excrete toxins and improve the functioning of the kidneys.
6. Salvia benefits should also include the antioxidant and antiviral properties which can be used to support our health.
7. Salvia also has function of anti-inflammation, which can inhibit the inflammatory response in your kidneys.
What is more, salvia injection may be helpful for recovery of kidney function after kidney transplant.
Salvia seems to be safe for most people. But it can cause some side effects, including itching, upset stomach, and reduced appetite. It may also increase the risk of bleeding.
Natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. If you do not know how many dosages you should take, consult your doctor or our online doctors before using.