So many patients with IgA Nephropathy (IgAN) have bouts of kidney pain, or flank pain, which may range from a dull ache to a debilitating spasm in the back area. If you happen to experience this symptom, making clear the causes can guide you to choose proper treatment.
What are the causes of kidney pain in IgA Nephropathy?
In the beginning of your diagnosis, most doctors will tell you that IgA Nephropathy isn’t painful. However, with the progress of your IgAN, pain is more likely to attack your kidney, because of the following conditions.
- The massive protein loss: The heavy loss of protein in urine can easily cause Nephrotic Syndrome, symptoms of which include kidney pain, edema, fatigue, etc.
- Urinary tract infections: People with IgA Nephropathy usually have low immunity that can provoke urinary tract infections easily, thus resulting in back pain.
- The formation of tiny blood clots: Kidney pain occurs easily during the episodes of gross hematuria, because hematuria can lead tony blood clots.
- Low kidney function: In some cases, pain in the kidney area is the sign of kidney disease aggravation.
How to alleviate kidney pain for IgA Nephropathy patients?
In order to ease the annoying pain, quite a number of patients try to use some painkillers such as aspirin and paracetamol. However, most of these medications fail to work. For this reason, some fundamental treatments are needed.
- Drink enough pure water: During the onset of gross hematuria, drinking pure water can help prevent kidney pain.
- Consume cranberry juice: Cranberry juice is one helpful beverage that is able to prevent and treat urinary tract infections.
- Massage: It is one easy and natural way to ease kidney pain for IgA Nephropathy patients, as it can help boost patients’ immunity and prevent tiny blood clots.
- Chinese herbs: Some Chinese herbs are proven to be effective on dissolving immune complexes and repairing damaged glomeruli, so as to stop protein from leaking into urine.
- Immunotherapy: Through regulating patients’ immune system and cleansing waste products and immune complexes from the body, immunotherapy aims to treat IgA Nephropathy from the root, let alone its symptoms.