Diabetic Nephropathy patients may have more symptoms than people who have other types of kidney diseases. If you are a diabetic with kidney disease and find edema or swelling in your legs, ankles and feet, it is time to see a doctor and take some effective treatments.
How does Diabetic Nephropathy cause swelling?
Diabetic Nephropathy occurs when high blood sugar attacks the blood vessels within kidneys. In kidneys, tiny blood vessels, called glomeruli, are responsible for eliminating waste products and extra fluid. For people with Diabetic Nephropathy, swelling in legs, ankles and feet is associated with not only diabetes but also kidney damage. Most often, the following conditions can cause swelling:
- Diabetes expand blood circulation in an abnormal way
- Diabetes causes infections in legs, ankles and feet
- The build up of fluid and sodium within the tissues of the body
- The side effect of some medications like Thiazolidinediones
Effective treatments for swelling in legs, ankles, feet for Diabetic Nephropathy
According to causes of swelling the above mentioned, high blood sugar and kidney damage are the root reason. In view of this, you may need to do some tests including GFR tests, blood tests, urine tests and blood sugar tests. The test report can guide doctor to help you develop an accurate treatment plan. If you have your latest report in hand, you can email it to email@example.com, so kidney experts here can give you some personalized advices.
To manage swelling, several remedies may be helpful for patients with Diabetic Nephropathy.
- Restrict the intake of fluid, sodium and sugar: Low-sodium diet contains about 2,000-3,000 mg of salt every one. If your blood sugar is higher than the normal, you may even need to develop a sugar-free diet.
- Take correct medications: Insulin is often used to lower blood sugar, while diuretics can help ease swelling. As introduced by doctors of TCM, some herbal medicines have both of these therapeutic effects. For example, cinnamon has an effect of reducing blood sugar levels and improve diabetics’ ability to respond to insulin. Ask the online doctor to see what medicines you can take.
- Medicated bath: This therapy can not only help improve blood circulation throughout your body but also increase the skin excretion. Besides kidneys, skin is another excretory organ, so it can help ease swelling.