Healthy diet plans can do a lot for people with both diabetes and kidney disease. On one hand, healthy eating can help control blood glucose and manage diabetes. On the other hand, a scientific diet plan can slow the progress of diabetic kidney disease and ease patients’ symptoms such as proteinuria and swelling. Therefore, it is necessary for these patients to develop a correct dietary plan.
General dietary requirements
If you are tested out diabetic kidney disease and you have experienced diabetes for a long time, you may find your diet doesn’t change a lot than before. To prepare a delicious and healthy dinner, you should pay the following aspects:
- Follow a low-sugar or sugar-free diet
- Limit the intake of sodium
- Restrict the protein intake but eat relatively more high-quality protein
- Take in correct amount of potassium and phosphorus according to the level of potassium and phosphorus in your blood.
- Eat enough vitamins like vitamin C
Specific foods good to eat
Some foods can either help lower blood glucose or control kidney disease that are good for people with diabetes and kidney disease to eat. Consuming these foods correctly, you will find your overall healthy condition improves to some extent. Because of the limited space, here we can only list several foods. (If you want to get a food list in detail, you can email to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
1. Onion: The most outstanding effect of onion is to prevent blood sugar from rising. Different from medications of lowering blood glucose, onion won’t lower blood glucose once yours is normal.
2. Guava: This fruit contains guava polyphenols that can inhibit the activation of enzyme for decomposing sugar, decline the reabsorption of sugar and prevent the over secretion of insulin. All of these benefits can help lower blood glucose.
3. Berries: Cranberry, blueberry, strawberry, etc, all contains rich antioxidant substances like vitamin C. They can help protect remaining kidney inherent cells and improve patients’ kidney function. Therefore, it is also good for diabetics with kidney disease.