Chronic Nephritis refers to chronic glomerulonephritis. With this kidney disease, patients usually have proteinuria, high blood pressure, edema and some other symptoms. To deal with it, various western medicines and Chinese medicines are used to prevent kidney failure and slow down the progress of Chronic Nephritis.
Western medicines to treat Chronic Nephritis
Western medicines are commonly used to manage patients’ symptoms, slow down the progress of nephritis and prevent further kidney damage. According to patients’ illness condition, different medicines are given. Here, we only introduce three kinds of these medications.
- High blood pressure medications: ACE inhibitors, ARB, calcium channel blockers, diuretics, etc, are common anti-hypertensive drugs. Among them, doctors prefer to give ACE inhibitors and ARB for their patients, because these medicines can not only lower high blood pressure but also ease proteinuria and protect kidney function.
- Corticosteroid: It is often taken to manage Chronic Nephritis, and it does help manage this disease effectively especially when patients have proteinuria. However, some patients are resistant to this medicine. Also, this medicine may cause a series of side effects such as moon face and growing problems easily.
- Immunosuppressants: When corticosteroid fails to work, doctors may add immunosuppressants to patients’ prescription. These medications function through lowering patients’ immune system, so patients are usually at a high risk of infections, cold and fever.
Chinese medicines to treat Chronic Nephritis
Compared with western medicine, Chinese medicines focuses on reversing patients’ condition by repairing damaged glomerular cells and controlling patients’ symptoms.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM): TCM contains many various therapies including oral medicines, external application medicine, Medicated Bath, Acupuncture, Massage, etc. All these therapies are selected to manage corresponding symptoms. Besides, TCM can help repair damaged glomerular cells by increasing blood flow into kidneys and prompting the self-healing system of these cells. However, these medicines work slowly, so it wasn’t used widely in the past to treat Chronic Nephritis.
- Micro-Chinese Medicine Hot Compress Therapy: It is one brand new therapy based on TCM. It overcomes the biggest disadvantage of TCM and works quickly. Through rebuilding glomerular filtration system and normalizing patients’ internal environment, this therapy has been used widely to deal with Chronic Nephritis.
The above are some examples of medications and therapies to treat Chronic Nephritis. Try to choose best treatment option with doctor online.