Patient: I was born with one kidney. I am 54 years old and my back pain gets worse every day. My doctors do MRI on back and see some arthritis and little bulging. I also have ultrasound done that shows the kidney is enlarged. I am eager to get rid of my horrible back pain due to enlarged solitary kidney.
Doctor: When one person has only one kidney or one working kidney, we call this working kidney as solitary kidney. Generally, three conditions can cause solitary kidney, including:
- Birth defects: Some people were born with only one kidney that is due to birth defects.
- The removal of one kidney: Because of kidney cancer or other damage to one kidney, patients may need to remove the diseased kidney.
- Kidney donation: If people donate one kidney to other people, they will have only one kidney.
From your description, we can know your condition is in accord with the first cause. Since you only have one healthy kidney, this kidney should work hard to maintain your life due to compensation. Kidney is located in the back area, so back pain is always one sign of kidney disease. According to your medical case, the basic treatment principle is to protect your solitary kidney and ease your back pain. Some natural remedies may be helpful.
1. Medicated bath: Through increasing blood flow throughout the body as well as kidneys, this therapy can supply enough nutrition and oxygen for the solitary kidney cells. Besides, it can increase the skin excretion, so as to reduce the burden on kidney to some extent.
2. Hot compress: Put fully-shattered herbal medicines into two bags and then place them under your back that is useful to alleviate your back pain effectively.
If there is anything unclear, welcome to contact us. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message below. Either is OK!